This name stays with the theme of streets named after trees throughout Luther.
A name in memory of Mr. Cox and the football field named after him.
The town of Luther was established 9 years after the run of 1889. Luther was platted in 1898 by Luther F. Aldrich of Cumberland County, Illinois. When the railroad extended east along what is now Highway 66 an old friend of Aldrich, C. G. Jones, became interested in the new territory and made land purchases to build towns along the railroad in Oklahoma Territory.
Before this the 40 acres Aldrich had bought was known as the Garnettville Community – it was platted then in 1891 and became the town of Luther, named after Luther Jones, son of C. G. Jones, who had been named after Luther Aldrich.